Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Looking for a way to send an automated email when a task's status changes

Options
Steve Krueger
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

One of our key uses of SmartSheet is to collect requests from our customers and manage these requests. I would really like to be able to send an email to the requestor when their request is assigned to someone on our team, and again with each status change.

Has anyone developed something like this? I saw a post about sending a weekly status report, which would be great, that that would require us to build dozens of "reports" so that all of our customers would receive one on any requests they had in our queue. That's not really feasible, and this approach would provide better and more timely notifications to them.

New to the Community, but a SmartSheet user for about three years now... thanks for any help!

Steve

Comments

• Bobby Andres
    Options

You could send the row to the user's by right clicking on the row number and selecting Send Row. This is a little manual. If you want something a little more automatic, use Zapier. 

With https://zapier.com you can set a condition to look to the Status column (and/or Assigned to), and when it changes, send the row contents to a specified user. 

• Steve Krueger
    edited 11/09/15
    Options

Thanks for the tip on Zapier, Bobby. I've seen some references to this tool on other sites, so I'm going to have to take a closer look at it.

I'm really trying to eliminate any additional work my team has to do in maintaining the requests in our system... I want to go with something that generates an "automated" response/notification.

Thanks again!

• Patrick Lawler
    Options

Hi Steve, 

An alternative to Zapier is Azuqua, which also helps provide the row level notifications to be sent out. In addition to sending notifications every time a status changes you also have the option of setting conditions between steps so as an example if you only wanted to send a notification when the task was "complete" you could do this as well. 

I do want to let you know that I work for Azuqua as a Customer Success Manager this is a very common scenario. If you are interested in learning more please don't hesitate to follow up with more questions. 

Here is a link to a Smartsheet Webinar we did where we cover these types of notifications in addition to other scenarios: Webinar

Additionally, if you want to discover more yourself here is where you can find more information: 

azu.qa/smart

Please reach out if you have any additional questions. 

-Patrick

• Steve Krueger
    Options

Thanks, Patrick... your product looks great, but it is too rich for our blood. We are a small shop serving a relatively small number of customers, in a non-profit higher educational environment. In other words, our budget won't allow for much more than "free".

But thanks!

Steve

• You can use the function in the Alert tool bar, under notifications to send an automatic notification based off a cell changing, Only downside is it is not sent instantly, it cycles once a day. If you want instant notifications then you can use Azuqua like we do, 

• John Dougherty
    Options

I have the same question - did you find a solution?

• Steve Krueger
    Options

No solutions, John... we don't intend to purchase another tool, and current functionality doesn't quite hit the mark. Plus, we just haven't had time to invest in experimenting with potential solutions within the SS framework.

• John Dougherty
    Options

Same here - thanks for responding Steve.

• DJB
    DJB ✭✭✭
    Options

I expect by now you've managed to get your auto email working?

This discussion has been closed.