Stumped with a simple formula - countif with sheet reference

KO_in_Colo
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

I feel silly, but I'm stumped.  I'm trying to do a countif with a sheet reference. I want to count how many rows in my Lease Tracker 2018 sheet have Agricultural in the Category column, but I keep getting #UNPARSEABLE.  What am I doing wrong?

=COUNTIF({Lease Tracker 2018 Category}:{Lease Tracker 2018 Category},"Agricultural")

Any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated, thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 5.21.14 PM.png

Comments

• KO_in_Colo
    edited 11/26/18

I figured it out!  I simplified plus I used a cell reference for the criteria.

=COUNTIF({Lease Tracker 2018 Category}, =Category1)

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/19/18

Hi,

Try this.

The range (Lease Tracker 2018 Range) is the whole column on the second sheet that has the Category reference in it.

Category is the column with the reference to what you want to count in the second sheets range. (You can change it to "Agricultural" if you only need that reference)

The formula should be in the Count column on the master sheet and if you have more references that you want to count you would fill the formula down, and because we have the @Row function, it will look at the Category column and what it should count from the second sheet.

=COUNTIF({Lease Tracker 2018 Range}; Category@row)    

The same version but with the below changes for your and others convenience.  

=COUNTIF({Lease Tracker 2018 Range}, Category@row)

Depending on your country you’ll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

Would that work?

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!