Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

exposing a report in the email body

First time posting here so apologies if this has been answered. I've searched through the posts and wasn't able to find an answer. 

I'm trying to move over to Smartsheets from Google Spreadsheets for a few reasons but mainly for the automated reporting. The one thing I noticed is that I can only send a report out as an attachment which doesn't show in the email body. Is there a way to expose the report in the same way that the update request sends an email with the table in the body?

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Mike

Using the Automation for scheduling does limit you to attachments, however if you Publish the Report first, you could include the Unique Link in the email narrative so removing the need to download the attachment if they just want a quick view they can click the link to see it without logging in. Beware that the link will show the Real Time situation, NOT the Snapshot in time that the attachment will show, so watch out for "Unintended consequences" . 

Hope that helps? 

Richard R

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

In addition to what Richard has said and depending on the size of the report, If you are using Window 7 or above there is a tool called Snippit which gives you a screen snippit which you can mail or past into a mail.

Not ideal but another option.

JamesR

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Related to JamesR's comment, I used Skitch for quick screen capture (by Evernote). It works on my Windows 10 PC and Android tablet and phone.

I'm looking for something more robust for screen capture for documention and open to suggestions. I'll check out snippit.

Craig

• Thanks all, 

I should have added that I am putting this together as a Weekly Update type sheet that i'm trying to automate. I'll look into a few of the solutions and see what works best for us. 

Mike

• You could also use the "Send Row" feature in reports which would add the row data to the body of the email. Just select all the rows you want to include, right click on a row number and select Send Row.  A limitation is that it cannot be scheduled to send on a recurring basis. 

This discussion has been closed.