Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Using formula to copy row to new sheet as a child row

Options
Pam Tadsen
Pam Tadsen ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

We have created web forms to retrieve new client information and new project information. Both forms contain the Primary Column "Client Name". I know we can link cells from one sheet to another. But what I'd like to know is if we can set a formula (or link a sheet) so that when a new form is submitted (and it is added to our first - baseline - smartsheet), it will also place a copy in a second smartsheet and recognize if the client name does not exist, it is added as a parent row; if it does exist, it is added as a child row. It might be easier to copy from one sheet to the other, but it would be nice if the process was automated. Thanks for any info!

Comments

• JohnHinkle
    JohnHinkle ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There are not automated workflows like this in Smartsheet. Third party apps like Zapier and Azuqua might be able to do some of it, but I am not sure if they can check for values in an entire column and make decisions based on that. 

For now, it will likely need to be done manually when the row is added. 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm pretty sure Zapier and Azuqua can do that.

It is pretty close to a use case I have for Zapier.

It can certainly add it for you.

I'll add this to my testing of Zapier and Azuqua. 

Craig

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Pam,

Zapier's choices on what to do with the row once it gets moved is too limited for this use case. I am hoping to get back to Azuqua testing next week and I'll check this then if nothing has been added here.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.