Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

What actions affect only my Smartsheet? What actions affect all shared users?

Darren Jansen
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

If I add a filter to a shared sheet does it add the filter for everyone else too? Also if I highlight changes from last hour, does it highlight it for other users too?

Comments

• Great question! I have done testing and research and this is my understanding that I have passed on to our team:

• Filters are local so you can use them without affecting everyone else. This is great to shorten long sheets.

Highlights are global which doesn't make any sense if filters can be local. We have to tell our users not to turn off the highlights. What is the point if everyone always has to see every change. This is a problem especially with colored cells because the text reverses to white on yellow and is unreadable. It would be better if individuals could control highlighting the way the want. 

• Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I started to suspect that my highlighting was affecting everyone when I left it highlighted one time and came back later to find it gone or changed. 

Thanks!

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Darren, filters are the only thing that are limited to your view. All other changes and settings will be visible for all users. 

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a vote to make highlights a local setting and not a global setting.  I was presenting this to a group today and found this problem too.  If filters can be local, highlights should be too.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Brad,

I prefer to have highlights shown to all users.

When I first starting using Smartsheet, I thought this was a bad feature.

After using it for so long, I would have problems if it went away. It just enables better collaboration in my experience.

I also got into the habit of turning it off before meetings or presentations.

Craig

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Craig, 

I have not said what I mean correctly.  I agree with you, and I want ALL users to see it.  The problem is that if one user turns it off all users lose it.
    Either make it so that the owner controls it and all see the same- or the user controls it and only they see their highlights- but sharing it between everyone means that it's hard to maintain consistent display characteristics.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Brad,

I think we'll just have to agree to agree. ;)

At my old stomping grounds we just said "don't turn it off".

Craig

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/09/17

I would like to know if this kind of feature is possible SS????

I review sheets regularly, and it is nice if I can have it set (since I last viewed this sheet).  If I have to change it to "when I last viewed this sheet" it never works, because I have to open the sheet to change the highlight condition.  At that point, I viewed the sheet 10sec ago.  Not helpful.

• Hi!  I know this is an old thread but I'm new(ish) to Smartsheet.  What about sorting?  I am the administrator for a sheet that multiple people use for different purposes, and depending on purpose it's necessary to sort on different criteria.  Can sorting be local only?  It seems to be global at the moment but is there a setting or something that can make a switch?

This discussion has been closed.