Creating Charts from Reports

Options
vandykez82996
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I am trying to create a chart from a report to have in my Dashboard. I have a report pulling my Engineer's Hours per project, and would like to create a way to sum all those up and create a graph showing this. 

Any help? 

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It may be easier to create a Metrics sheet that sums all of that up and then use that for your Chart.

• vandykez82996
    Options

How would I go about making the Metric Sheet? 

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/26/19
    Options

There are a few different ways. The two easiest would to be to create a grid with Engineers on one axis and Projects on the other (column heades in bold). For this example I am assuming your master sheet is setup with the Engineers listed in one column, Hours listed in a second column, and the Projects listed in a third column.

Engineer               Project A           Project B            Project C

Project A            Project B             Project C

Engineer A

Engineer B

Engineer C

You could then use a SUMIFS formula similar to the following:

=SUMIFS({Master Sheet Sum Range}, {Master Sheet Engineer Range}, $Engineer@row, {Master Sheet Project Range}, [Project A]$1)

{Master Sheet Sum Range}: Use the appropriate steps for cross sheet referencing and select the column in your Master Sheet that contains the hours to sum.

{Master Sheet Engineer Range}: Same as above except selecting the column housing the Engineers' names.

$Engineer@row: Leave as is. References the Engineer's name in the Engineer column on your Metrics sheet for whatever row the formula is on. Note the $ to lock the column reference.

{Master Sheet Project Range}: Same as above ranges except selecting the column housing the Projects.

[Project A]$1: Leave as is. Note the $ to lock in the row reference.

When putting the formula in the first cell of the table ([Project A]2), this will allow you to dragfill the rest of the table without having to update the formula for specific data.

You could also flip the table so that the Projects are listed down the first column and the Engineers are listed across the first row.

To provide a visual reference for the example above... The first screenshot is of my Master sheet and the second is of the Metrics sheet.

You can then use the Metrics sheet to build your Chart widget in the dashboard.

Master.PNG

Metrics.PNG

• sallison
    sallison ✭✭✭
    Options

Is there more info regarding this matrix formula. I am trying to use this, but have questions.