Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Conditional Format by cell unique based on row or column

Options
Bob Stevens
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

We are undertaking major project across teams and areas and looking for a way to create a dashboard type display with ability to add spcific details.  Basic requirements include.

1.  We have 16 different workstreams grouped by column (overall status, staffing, planning, security, rerporting etc.).  There are about 30 modules being implemented, grouped by rows. 

Objective:  Allow the repsonsible party of particular module ability to mark the module/workstream the status.  (On Track, Watch, Needs Action)  based on the selection the CELL would change color to be Green, Yellow or Red.

- It seems the only way to do this is to create a conditional format for each column (that would be 48 formats).  Do not want to really do this.  Is there way to create conditional format that is by cell and can span multiple columns.

2.  Part two is give owner ability to add details on those flagged Watch or Needs Action.  My thought is to create a rule that would automatically copy this item to a summary sheet.  In the sheet the owner could document and track the item until it is On Track. 

- Since there are so many columns already would not want to add a comment column for each workstream as this would make sheet to large to manage.

After doing some looking it appears the Dashboard feature may help but I have not seen it has been released yet.  Any suggestions would be appreciative.

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bob,

For (1), you implied you want a color code PER COLUMN.

3 colors, 16 columns, that's indeed 48 conditional formats.

What you are asking for is a "if I am X, format me this way". Unfortunately, that is not the way the Smartsheet conditional formatting works.

Even if they gave us a the ability to multi-select when choosing columns, it is likely that it would impact all columns, not limit itself to the cell checking.

For (2), one method I have used is to use Reports for anything that is flagged Watch or Needs Action. If necessary, one Report per person, but often one is enough.

Reports can access the Discussion feature, which is useful for the running status updates.

Hope this helps.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.