Assigning tasks to group contacts

Hannah Womack
Hannah Womack ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I have created several contact groups in smartsheet for entire teams that need to work on certain tasks, only to realize that these groups are not automatically included in my contact directory within the sheet itself. Is there a way to assign a row to an entire contact group without adding each individual email to the cell?

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Hannah,

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment, but it's a great idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ezra
    Ezra ✭✭✭

I've asked about this as well. Partly because I want to automatially divide the allocated work between however many people are in that group (especially if that group changes size frequently).

It would also be very useful to build reports that look at groups.

• We have created Group emails (example all-editors@domain.com, all-compositors@domain.com.

Created users in Smartsheet with these email addresses.

So any assignments get assigned to the Group email, all email addresses in the group get notified.

Not sure if that works for you.

• Ezra
    Ezra ✭✭✭

We have done that as well, as a stop-gap measure for notifications and occasionally as a placeholder assignment while waiting for one in that group to be specifically assigned to a particular task.

However, this doesn't address the underlying problem of having an arbitrary number of people in a group to divide the work allocation between, or having to constantly manage the email lists in another software instead of in Smartsheet.

• Not having the ability to assign an activity to a group is a real pain. This is particularly true for more complex projects in which there are subcontractors doing much of the work and you may not know exactly which person from the pool of subcontractors is going to do the work. You can work around this using distribution-list emails in the companies email system, but it would be much better to control all of this in Smartsheet.