Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Conditional Formatting on Parent Line

I created conditional formatting that allows me to color code based on % complete of child tasks, however this does not carry into the parent line as I have dependencies enabled. I would like to be able to visually show the progress of a project based on the average of the children status on the parent line.

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/05/16

Lindsey,

If you have conditional formatting set for the % complete column, that should work for your parent rows too. Conditional formatting does not know about parents, children, or many other things.

If you have dependencies enabled, the % complete column should be showing a weighted percentage based on how much effort has expired

One 90 day task complete and one 10 day task half complete should be 95% complete on the parent (summary) row. 

Allocation % does not figure into it (yet - I hope). Only duratiion.

Overlap does not matter either (if that example is 100 days (sequential), 90 days (parallel) or 200 days (lag between)) - only duration of individual tasks.

So ... it should work as is.

Screen shot might help figure out what is wrong.

Craig

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Lindsey,

As craig has said, but I think and I may be wrong you mean on the Gantt Bar.  Hierarchy Gantt Bar colours cannot be changed on  a Sheet.  However if you create a report and ensure the Hierarchy rows are in it then the conditional formatting set for the rows will also apply to the Hirearchy bars as Reports do not recognise the Hirearchy

James

• Lindsey Treulieb
    edited 04/06/16

Here is a screenshot. I have buckets that look like the line "Conference Strategy" throughout the spreadsheet which are made up of items like "3-year strategic plan" and subgroups like "Finalize Creative Direction" which are also comprised of different pieces of work. I have the % complete column which allows me to assign a status to each of the lines that make up a subgroup with a color coding conditional format. I then added a formula to show an average of each of the lines in the subgroup title line as well as the bucket title line (in this example, Conference Strategy and Finalize Creative Direction). However, as you can see, the title lines still show as gray bars rather than inheriting the conditional format. Sorry if this is wordy, I am not sure how to describe what the issue is.

Smartsheet Screenshot.jpg

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Lindsey,

As I said earlier Conditional Formatting cannot be applied to Hierarchy Bars (Title Bars in your terminolagy).  They are always Grey.

James

• That was what I thought :(

Having those bars inherit conditional formatting would be helpful

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Good catch James. I reread it and still would not have thought about the Gantt chart.

Craig

• renfrodesign
    edited 08/18/16

Having the same problem here! Any suggestions? Laughing

• Hi-- To confirm, it isn't currently possible for Parent Gantt bars to inherit Conditional Formatting (they will always be grey) so I don't have any suggestions to workaround this, as there isn't a way to at this point. I will add your vote for this functionality to our enhancement request list, though, and our Development team will consider it for a future update!

This discussion has been closed.