Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

% Complete column can only be updated manually?

Options
ctc
ctc
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Is it true that a % Complete column for a gantt chart can only be updated manually? It would be beautiful if I could use a formula which would update it automatically.

Comments

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/15/16
    Options

You are right, in this case the % Complete column accepts only manual entries. It would really be useful to have the possibility to change its value with a formula as well. 

I use this formula sometimes with a 'Status' column with Harvey Ball symbols:

=IF(Status12 = "Empty", 0, IF(Status12 = "Quarter", 0.25, IF(Status12 = "Half", 0.5, IF(Status12 = "Three Quarter", 0.75, 1)))), but it only works with a normal % complete column (not with one used for gantt charts). 

May it be an enhancement request? 

Atus

• Dave D
    Dave D
    edited 04/18/16
    Options

If you disassociate the % Complete column with dependencies, then you can add formulas to it, but it will not be represented in the Gantt chart. 

Edited to add an important "not"

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dave,

Do you mean it will NOT be represented in the Gantt chart?

That's not nice,... Neither that there's no cumulative % in the parent rows in that case. I would like to have both automation and Gantt-association.  (I don't know if it can be done though) 

• ctc
    ctc
    edited 04/18/16
    Options

My ugly workaround it is to create a text/number column with a formula to calculate the percent complete. I then copy and paste special value into the gantt % complete column.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

ctc

If you are going to do that, then I would add

=[% Complete]23

for row 23, copy that to the rest of the column and copy/paste the entire column at once (with values) after you have updated the ones that need it -- and the copy the formula back to the column again.

It might be faster than doing them one at a time.

Craig

• ctc
    Options

Thx, but I don't follow you.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe I misunderstood. You have a complete column with a formula.

You aren't cherry picking the copy.

So never mind.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.