Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Changing column to a "List"

Heidi Decker
Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I have a column that has equipment in it, it is set up as a text column. I am using the information in that column for conditional formating. Now I want to make that column a list to choose from and I can't because of the conditional formating. Do I have to un-do all the conditional formating to change it to a list column and re-do all the conditional formating?

Comments

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Heidi,

it's easier to copy the content of the entire column to a new one, set the property of the new column to Dropdown list, and then on the right  you'll get the values in alphabetical order. Then you can just copy-paste them (you can also edit the entries before). 

Or undo the conditional formatting for the specific column only (not all), change the property, and set cond.form. back.

atus

• Travis
    Travis Employee

The column type will not affect conditional formatting rules. If you want to change your column to a dropdown list, double click on the column header and select Dropdown List. Any values that exist in the column will be automatically added as a predetermined value in the Dropdown List. 

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey there Travis, I tried that and it did not work. Then I started a new sheet and made sure the column was set up as a drop list then populated the column thinking the list would magically appear. The list did not. I had to edit the list box by adding all the items in the column then it worked.

Thanks for your help.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/22/16

Unfortunately, Travis is incorrect this time.

And your request has so many feature requests in it.

First, the proof:

Note the list is in alphabetical order. Rearrange them as you desire. A bit easier than typing.

But you still need to get the conditional formatting to point to the new column.

Two options (besides just recreating completely)

1. Clone

2. Change the location

The first brings nothing extra (and requires you to delete the clone), so use #2.

And here's feature request #2

Once I click on the column, the item selected GOES AWAY and I have to select it again. Don't do that.

If I am changing the column, I may not want to change the criteria ESPECIALLY if I cloned it. 

I assume, Heidi, that by now you have fixed it.

Craig

DropdownList_ConditionalFormatting_01.jpg

DropdownList_ConditionalFormatting_02.jpg

DropdownList_ConditionalFormatting_03.jpg

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, and another feature request:

When I add an additional image, the second (and third) have all of the previous ones too.

Unless it gets deleted, I would have three image #1, two image #2, and one image #3 in the above post.

Craig

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Great work Craig, thanks for keeping me on my toes! My answer was incorrect. 

I am tracking your enhancement request, including the image bug in the Community. 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. You aren't often wrong and I take no delight in pointing it out.

I had to check, twice, just to be sure.

Craig

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you to both of you. Yes, Craig I did get this fixed but I'm so enjoying all that I learn from the conversations that go on.

Thanks again.

This discussion has been closed.