Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Conditional Formatting - Track Cost Fluctuation

I have a master list to track the cost of an item. Is there a way to format cells to change the font to Red or Green based on whether or not the value is higher than a previous cost? IE: In 2015 cost was $1 and in 2016 the cost rose to $2. I would want the 2016 cost to automatically turn Green to show that there was an increase in price or vice versa.

Conditional Formatting.png

Comments

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/26/16

Denise,

You need to have a new column with the difference, and set two Conditional Formatting rules for this column: 

If Difference is less than 0 then apply this format to the Difference column. ["this format" is: red letters]

If Difference is greater than 0 then apply this format to the Difference column. ["this format" is: green letters]

The problematic part of the operation, I guess, will be setting the right formulae counting the difference in the righ places (since the values are not in the same line). I mean these are "=Cost2-Cost5" or something, but they depend on where the specific values are. 

Please let us know if you need more help. 

atus

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams Top Contributor

You may also make use to the Absoulute Reference instead of Relative Reference.

Very similar to functionality in Excel if you are used to that

=[Row]Column

is relative. Add $ for either row or column and they become fixed -- but will update when rows/columns are added/removed. Sometimes the deletion might get you, but just watch for it.

=$[Row]$Column

This discussion has been closed.