Using COUNTIF on a Range with Cross-Sheet References

Options
JDecepida
JDecepida ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

I am attempting to use a COUNTIF formula on a column of cells that have VLOOKUP formulas pulling in information from another sheet. 

The COUNTIF formula returns a #NO MATCH. When I copy/paste the VLOOKUP info into text only, the COUNTIF formula works but this destroys the advantage of using a VLOOKUP formula in the first place as now I must manually re-enter the formula on each update.

Does anyone have a workaround for this?

Comments

• Chak Khiam
    Chak Khiam ✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/26/19
    Options

Without knowing how your formula looks like, I am making a guess that it could be caused by the following:

If you had not included "false" as the match type in your VLOOKUP statement, then you might want to add it (or replace "true") to retrieve an exact match.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you able to post your current formulas and some screenshots with confidential and/or sensitive data hidden, remove, or replaced with "dummy data"?

VLOOKUP results can be a headache in regards to their use in other formulas and calculations, but there are so many variables that could come into play that finding a solution for you without more detail would be extremely difficult.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!