Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Cell Linking Within Same Sheet

Options
tcroteau66
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hello... is there a way to link the value of a text-based cell to other text-based cells within the same sheet? I have a project plan template in which there are several fields in my "Assigned To" Contact List column which will need to be populated with the same person. Instead of even copying/pasting, I was hoping to somehow select a contact in one cell and have all the other cells needing this same contact name auto-populate based on my entry in the initial cell.

In Excel, for exampl, I can simply configure one cell to point to another. I cannot seem to find a way to do this in SS.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi tcroteau66,

In the columns where you want the resource name to appear when you enter it into the assigned to column put this formula =[Assigned To]2, (2 is the row number). I'm doing the same thing in my sheets.

It will populate all the fields you have that formula in. Be aware that the formula is replaced by the resource name so if you are going to change the resource you will also need to manually update the other fields you a having this go into.

Hope this helps.

• tcroteau66
    edited 06/23/16
    Options

Thx for your feedback, Heidi. I tried that to no avail. I'm thinking the issue is with the fact it is a Contact List column which I'm thinking cannot use formulas. I can't confirm this after searching but I think that's the case.

I can successfully do this if it's a Text/Number column.

I need to use the Contact List column type as I am tracking time allocation for each of the people in my contact list.

Thx again, Heidi. I appreciate you taking the time.

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are the additional fields you want the name to go into on the same row (task)? 

• tcroteau66
    Options

No. They're in the same column, though.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Contact List type columns do not allow formulas.

It has been requested before.

Craig

• Kennedy Stomps
    Kennedy Stomps Employee
    edited 06/24/16
    Options

Hi tcroteau66-- As Craig stated, Contact-List type columns cannot currently hold formulas, but I've added your vote for this to our enhancement request list. Are the tasks that will be assigned to the same person grouped in any other way in your sheet, for example by department, project code, etc.? If so, you could use a Filter to filter only the related tasks, then use the Drag Fill feature to fill a contact down a column, rather than having to copy and paste across your entire sheet.

• tcroteau66
    edited 06/24/16
    Options

Nice idea, Kennedy. I'll keep that in mind, and thank you for adding my vote to this feature request. Thanks also to you and J Criag for confirming Contact List column cells cannot use formulas.

• sdkotes12901
    Options

Kennedy:

Please put my vote down too, if this enhancement has not been vetoed.

Thank you,

Sandy

• Keith Tham
    Options

Please add my vote as well.

Trying to work with alerts for update and approval requests on a single user form and the same Manger for approvals.

This would allow the admin need only to update two reference cells. 

Alternatively under Alerts, could SS add a delivery option to a single cell reference (i.e. the first cell of a contacts list column)? 

To get really creative, if could add a "setup" column where each cell could be set to particular type (i.e. contact list, number, date, etc...)  as currently having to add a couple of rows above header and if can "borrow" a cell or two for setup references.

Thank-you,

-Keith

• akay
    Options

Another request for this. This is needed for exactly the reasons already stated above: because you cannot use formulas for a contact column.

I'm a bit disappointed to see that this a two-year-old request with seemingly no action as yet.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi everyone,

Formulas in contact columns. It's released now! laugh

https://community.smartsheet.com/announcement/announcing-formula-support-contact-columns

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

This discussion has been closed.