Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Card View: Show Column Name as Label

Ame Rychlak
Ame Rychlak ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Our workflow includes multiple check boxes in a row. In Card View we loose the at-a-glance review of the task without the check boxes being labeled. It would be a benefit for many of the column types to include what is being identified.

Comments

• I agree. We use different date and contact column types and its nice that they show up on the card in card view, but without knowing what that date represents or what that name on the card is assigned to, its kind of pointless. The ability to label or have the column name be the label would be very helpful and make the cards more useful.

• I'm confused because some of the screenshots showing card view show field names on the cards but I can't see how to replicate this. Were field names part of a beta version when the screenshots were made and then that feature was removed?  I would love to use card view because it would be a great fit for my workflows but without the field names showing I can't use it, it's just a jumbled mess of dates and checkboxes with no idea which is which.

• After complaining about not being able to show the field label, I came up with a workaround but it's limited and kludgy. Let's say I have two dates, a start date and end date. I create a new column for the start date label just to the left of the start date field and apply the text "Start Date:" in every cell, then I do the same for the end date. Now I hide those columns so they don't look strange in other views. In the card view, I include those fields so I at least have labels above those fields.  It sucks up more of the 9 available fields which is a shame but it is a functional workaround for now.

• Kennedy Stomps
    Kennedy Stomps Employee
    edited 06/28/16

Hi Patrick-- In many of the demo videos that we have produced, the sheets include formulas that concatenate column values with text to describe the values. For example, in Robin's demo video, he has created formulas in his parent rows (the top row of cards) that preface his "Revenue" and "Units" values with those text strings. Those formulas look something like:

="Revenue: " + SUM(CHILDREN())

Zac, Ame, and Patrick, I've added your votes to support displaying column headers as field labels in the Card View, but in the meantime, to save fields in your Card View, you might consider adding a formula like the one below in Text/Number type "card label" columns and using these as your field values instead:

="Start Date: " + Start6

• Thanks Kennedy. That is a nice work around.

• Ame Rychlak
    Ame Rychlak ✭✭✭

Nice work around for dates and other text, but it is not working well for check boxes or symbols. I think we will just have to wait for the enhancment before utilizing card view. Too much clutter to have to clean up after the fact.

• Kennedy Please show me the work around for getting dates or data from other sheets

GeorgeZ

• Normally reports are a good way to summarize data in multiple sheets, but if you wish to view your data in card view you will need to do cell linking. For example, i wanted to view all of my project schedules in card view but each schedule is a seperate sheet. What i did was made a "master sheet" with the columns that i wished to display on my cards. I then cell linked in the parent rows from all of my schedules to make a nice master schedule that displays the status of all projects in cards.

• Great workaround, Zac! To confirm, George, you will need to use cell-linking to pull in data from other sheets if you would like to access the Card View. 

• Ame Rychlak
    Ame Rychlak ✭✭✭
    edited 07/15/16

I have not found this in the documentation on Card View yet, but on the 7/12 release they have added a tooltip for the field label. Getting closer to showing the label, but still at a disadvantage with a card full of check boxes and symbols.

Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 4.31.45 PM.png

• I agree with everyone else here.  Card View is terrific but without the field labels, there's just a bunch of data displayed and it's not easy to distinguish the data values.  A nice fix would be to add a checkbox in the Fields function within the Card View to be able to also display the field Label.  

This discussion has been closed.