How to right-size a Project Portfolio?

Options
wliddick
wliddick ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

This question may be more on Project Management and Culture than it is solutioning in Smartsheet Software, but possibly some of you have done something creative in Smartsheet to help your organization.

I have been with my organization for a year now and have been able to build out a project portfolio.  Having the visibility is great and it has been a real eye opener at a high level - "Wow, look at everything we are trying to accomplish!"

The challenge now is rightsizing the portfolio - How much can the organization handle and what projects will give the most benefit?  I feel we are getting a handle on the benefit piece, but not on the how much piece.  We do have a culture here of saying yes to everything - they all have value, so it's hard to say no.  One concept I am trying to get across is that we do not want to go from a "culture of yes" to a "culture of no", but we do want to go from a "culture of yes" to a "culture of best" - we can only do so much, so what gains the most benefit for the organization?

Anyway, if any of you have had success in your organization on tackling this area, I'd love to hear from you.  I have ideas I am working on and would be glad to share them, but so far they are only ideas.

Thanks,

Bill

Comments