Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Card View IF Statements

djm714
djm714
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I am trying to figure out if you can add an IF statement that says if you move a card to complete that it will mark the % complete in the project to 100%. Is this something that is possible?

Thanks,

Dan

Comments

• Steve B.
    Steve B.
    edited 08/23/16

Hi Dan - 

Yes, this is possible and easy to do by nesting some IF statements.  Because Card View is driven off a drop-down, you can write a statement that changes the % complete for you.  

For example,

Say you have three lanes in Card View driven off of a drop-down column called "Status":  

Not Started = 0%

In Progress = 50%

Complete = 100% 

You would then write this statement in your % Complete column:

=IF(Status1 = "Complete", 1, IF(Status1 = "In Progress", 0.5, IF(Status1 = "Not Started", 0)))

This works with symbol columns too.  Just replace the numbers with "Text".  So for harvey balls you'd write =IF(Status1 = "Complete", "Full", IF(Status1 = "In Progress", "Half", IF(Status1 = "Not Started", "Empty"))).

Hope this helps.

- Steve B.

• I am not able to get this to work. I have tried to do the suggestion above and have come up empty. It might be that I am not the greatest with IF statements. 

• It's possible that the IF statement isn't correct:

=IF(Status[1] = "Complete", "Full", IF(Status[1] = "In Progress", "Half", IF(Status[1] = "Not Started", "Empty", "Empty"))).

IF statements needs a "true" and "false" designator...The example left it out.

• Steve B.
    Steve B.
    edited 08/23/16

Thanks, Jeff.  Actually both ways should work.  The example I gave works as written provided the column names are accurate.  

Dan - Here's an example sheet showing how it all works. Toggle over to Card View, move the cards across lanes, and you'll see how the percentage and harvey balls change.  

Thanks,

Steve B.

• djm714
    djm714
    edited 08/24/16

I guess the issue i am having is what column this should go in. If i put it in the % complete then it no longer shows what percent the task is at anymore. I

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If Dependencies are enabled in the sheet, then the % Complete column can not contain a formula.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.