Importing\Uploading Information

Options
MikeCorvin
MikeCorvin ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

I know you can create a sheet by importing a document into SmartSheet and having it auto-create around the information; however, how do you continue this?  IE You take a sheet from Excel, that will continue to be used, and import it into SmartSheet, then you want to update the information in the SS later by just Uploading\Importing the updated document.  How is this achieved/is it even achievable at the present state?  I am trying to get away from having to input several packets of information into various databases.  If I built a dashboard based on a sheet in SS I don't want to have to create a brand new sheet importing every time and then have to go back and edit all of my formulas.

There ought to be an easy way to update sheet information with some form of upload capability versus re-entering all data that has been input by the production crew in excel already.

Open to other suggestions as well that meet the same goal. 

TLDR;: Production inputting information into a program that is output as .csv and then uploading into an existing sheet.  Presently no way to add info into same sheet, (That I see), importing creates new sheet.  How does one go about updating an existing sheet with an outside file, IE .csv or .xlsx.

~Mike

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/14/19
    Options

Hi Mike,

Have you looked at the Premium Add-On, Data Uploader?

More info: https://www.smartsheet.com/datauploader

Depending on the specifics, I might be able to help as well. I recently built a solution for one of my clients, where they used another solution for structuring their project. The solution I made takes the pasted information from an excel file and links it to a project sheet and can then be rearranged as needed.

Can you describe your process in more detail?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!