Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Grouping Tabs

Options
Gregg Wolin
Gregg Wolin ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but..... Is there a way to have all the sheets in a workspace (or by some other means) open simultaneously (think excel "workbook" with mutiple "worksheets").

Comments

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/12/16
    Options

Hi Gregg,

I think the only way to have multiple sheets open is to have each sheet open in a seperate browsing window.

Sorry it's not a better answer.

Peace!

• Steve Johnson
    Steve Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Gregg: This is probably not helpful, but I'm posting it just because it is a time-saver that I overlooked for a while.

Within a folder (not a workspace), you can click the top-most checkbox and it will select all sheets in that folder.  Then, choose "open" from the "Actions" button.  That will open all sheets in a folder simultaneously.

Capture.JPG

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/07/16
    Options

Steve, no ... you are SO wrong ... that is EXTREMELY helpful.

Here's some more info -- if you tried this in a Workspace, you may have been fooled into think it would not work because the Open menu item was not shown.

Well ... it will, you just need to uncheck the Folders first -- many of Smartsheet's menus are context sensitive, that is they will not display a menu item if it is not valid. They aren't all like that, but lots of them are.

Also, I am not implying that this will open all the sheets/reports/templates in a workspace -- it won't, only the ones selected and we can only select one 'level' at a time. But that will still save (me) time. So thanks for that.

To Heidi's point, I use several tabs/windows at once, often with more than one browser at a time (to use different accounts or users). This does cause a (sometimes noticable) slow down in my system. Be aware that each window will work independantly - sheets open/closed in one won't open/close in another tab.

That means you could set up a 'workspace' for each session but ... and here's the pain point - that last window closed "wins" -- the next window open will start with that ones open sheets/reports.

It takes a bit of juggling to balance the advantage of having the multiple views with the pain of keeping it all straight.

Hope this helps.

• MoPGA
    Options

Has this feature been removed? I tried to follow the advice above and I do not have the open option for either workspaces or folders for multiple files. 

This discussion has been closed.