I want task duration to ignore non-working days

nick_cruz
nick_cruz
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

As part of my project I am ordering parts with multi-week lead times. I have 3 weeks upcoming that our business will be shut down but that will not affect my vendor's timeline. Can I remove a specific "task" from the project calendar and abide by a standard workweek calendar?

Comments

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

As far as setting the standard work week, have you looked a the project settings? Right click any column headers, then select edit project settings. You can play around with the settings in there to get what you want if I am understanding your question correctly.

For removing the task I would have to see how the sheet is set up in order to give you a better answer.

• Sorry about that. I don't think I made much sense originally. I will try to explain it better.

I have attached a screenshot of my Gantt chart. In my project settings I added Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays to "Non-working days" and you can see these shaded.

My task, "Receive F modules" should take 4 weeks starting on 11/21. The vendor I order these parts from is not affected by Thanksgiving or Christmas. Therefore, the finish date should be 12/18.

On my Gantt chart, however, you can see that "Receive F Modules" is affected by my scheduled non-working days.

The work around that I discovered is that I can manually figure out my 4 week lead time (12/18 delivery date) and instead of entering a duration, I select 12/18 as a finish date.

Is this the best way ? Did I do a better job in describing my problem?

2019-11-18 09_29_59-MPX-45FG (VCR) Build Plan - Smartsheet.com - (3) MP-05H Project Build Plan - Sma.png

• There is a help article published that may solve this - basically uses elapsed time rather than something that checks holiday and non-working time. Here is link to article:

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/17951/independent-work-days-for-tasks-or-resources