Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Feature Request: Timesheets / Time Columns / Time Trending

Options
Brad Jones
Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

What we want, is to be able to generate a daily or weekly report of how much time each person worked, and on which tasks.  We need to be able to not only see the efficiency of the tasks, but also of the people.  And if we can select a specific period of time, this would also be useful.

I have a project where each row has a task.  Each day, the employee in charge of that task will write in their comments, hours used, and hours lost (from system problems, inefficiencies, etc).  They must manually add their time today to the existing time.  This system works, and we are able to see the total time of each task, but I have tried so far to create something to see a report by person, and all I have heard is that this is not currently possible.

As a side note, it would be cool if we could add a system column of “hours” wherein the user can just put in their hours for that day, and this is added to a total column elsewhere.  That way they don’t have to do the math manually, and potentially mess up the trend.  This is more of a ‘nice to have’ than a need, but it would work well with the idea of a ‘time sheet’ functionality.

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hi Brad—I think a lot of this would be solved if we had a Time column type, where users can input time of day or you could create formulas to take the number of hours from a clock in/clock out scenario. I'll get your vote down for this type of functionality but let me know if I'm not hearing you correctly.

Hours can be manually typed in the duration column, however, but you'd need to manually keep do the math on hours. 

You might consider creating a formula and having your collaborators manually put in their times (8:00 in one column and 5:00 in another), but it's possible for any time calculation formulas to be off if the formatting isn't consistent enough.

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The core spirit of my request is to be able to do reporting of work done by an individual over a certain period.  Ignoring for a moment the time column, my managers want to be able to pull a report of what each person did that day/week/month.  As we already have a project sheet that tracks our tasks and total time, we'd want to pull from that data.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Gotcha—there is currently a way to create a report in Smartsheet that will display tasks that an employee has completed within a certain date range or in the last X number of days, assuming you have columns keeping track of a completed status and the assignee.

There isn't currently a way to perform calculations on or see metrics/statistics within the report directly, however.

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Close, but no bananna Wink

I have a friend working on something using the API to try and accomplish this.  If we succeed, we'll share.

• Laura
    Laura ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

We would be interested in this feature as well! That would eliminate the extra work we do now to keep up with time.

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hi Brad,

We don't have a timeframe for when this type of feature will be added to Smartsheet but I've got your vote down.

This discussion has been closed.