Using cell data links in templates

Options

Hi

I am creating master sheets with the basic information that most of our sheets would require. We are a Strata company so that info would be the names and addresses (and other data) of all the buildings we have under management. I then want to create a template for sheet creation that includes links back to the base master sheet. This would allow me to only update the master sheets with new buildings etc and that would flow into all further sheets created from the template.

Has anyone else been able to do this?

Answers

• I'm trying to do almost the exact same thing. We have a master sheet, and we're sharing data with 2 other vendors. We only want those 2 vendors to see the data that pertains to them, but I'm having a hard time getting them to link up properly and add new info to the other 2 sheets when the new info is added to the master sheet.

• andrew.taylor37161
    Options

Hi Cassie

Apart from the restricted data, exactly the same. All I need is for the template to carry the links.

I have also asked Smartsheet the same question (apart from the community) so if I get a response, I will share this with you.

Regards

Andrew

• andrew.taylor37161
    Options

Just heard back from Smartsheet and they don't allow links in templates.

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi all Can I suggest that using Smartsheet Templates for this is the problem, better you create your own "Templates" for each Project Type then "save as New" rename the Folder or the Sheet as needed, place it where you want it to go and Job done. This works really well when a folder contains all the assets the new project needs to work, Eg Reports, dashboards and sheets.

If you want to do this in a more automated format that drives the above actions and data Uniformity then see our API App called "Project initialiser" .... or just do it yourself as described above. Simple but very effective because it retains all the links and formulas.

Hope that helps.

Richard Rymill Smarter Business processes

• andrew.taylor37161
    Options

Thanks for the advice. I had come to a similar conclusion. I have passed on the PDF for discussion with our board.

Again, thanks for the help.

Andrew

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Excellent Andrew, we hope we have helped. If your board need a demo of our "Project Initialiser App" they are welcome.

Regards

Richard Rymill

Smarter Business Processes.com