Trying to insert and not type-over

When I double-click a cell to add text to a cell, I can add additional text after the entry, but I cannot insert text in the middle of an entry, as it will overwrite any text thereafter. It just started happening yesterday. I think I was typing to fast and pressed a button(s) that activated this function and now I have no idea how to fix it. Please help! This is driving me crazy lol.

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have had this happen a few times a while back in the Community, but never in a sheet itself. I was unsure of what caused it to happen or what caused it to stop. @Andrée Starå may have an idea or two, but you may want to go ahead and reach out to Support.

• Deena Duran
    Deena Duran Overachievers

Although this solution does not pertain to Smartsheet, I want to be sure that it rules it out:

Try clicking on "insert" on your keyboard. In general, this allows for you to type over what you had previously written. This should apply to anything on your computer, not just Smartsheet. I know the first time I accidentally hit it, I had been confused for awhile! Hitting "insert" will toggle the setting back and forth. Maybe that will help!

Deena

Deena Duran, MA (She/Her)

🌟 Smartsheet Overachiever, Mobilizer, and Early Adopter 🌟

🎓️ Core App, Project Management, and System Administrator Certified 🏅

Senior Business Analyst

University of New Mexico Health Sciences

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Jayme Allison & @Paul Newcome If I remember correctly it could be the browser. Have you tried another browser?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.