In the Calendar App, can you make it filter on a field by default

Options
CWatkins
CWatkins
edited 07/04/24 in Add Ons and Integrations

I have a sheet with a lot of data. I have created a view for it but need it to be filtered on one field. I can set that up fine but now I (and others I share it with) need to reset that filter every time I go in to view it. Is there a way to have that filter automatically set?

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @CWatkins

Are you referring to the Premium App, the Calendar App, or are you referring to the Calendar View within a sheet?

If you are referring to a View, you can set a default filter and view for your sheet at the bottom of the Sheet Sharing permissions window, like so:

You can read more about sheet filters in our Help Center (click here). Let me know if you have any questions about this!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Amanda Frye
    Options

@Genevieve P I have the same question, but for the actual calendar app. I want to default the view to use a specific filter so that the user does not have to select it each time. How would I do that in the Calendar app settings?

Amanda

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Amanda Frye

The Calendar App doesn't currently have the functionality to have a default filter applied - please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment!

Thanks,

Genevieve

• Sarah123
    Sarah123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P. has that feature been implemented for the Calendar App yet? We'd also like to have a specific filter set on project dashboards for that project (like pulling from the metadata for the project name for the filter).

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Sarah123

There isn't a way to set a default, however you could set up filters for each Project and then add a Rich Text widget to explain "Select your Project Name from the filter" or some other direction. I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• RC_SG
    RC_SG ✭✭
    edited 07/03/24
    Options

Unfortunate Genevieve that does not help. At all. For my usecase there are projects that I can't immediately show to the group I'm creating the calendar for. I use multiple vendors and to keep our vendor information private we can't just have every other vendor's job pop up at the same time.

So previously the Calendar App had the functionality to filter items through the settings menu, and in that case it was default because it was part of the overall settings.

I can't for the life of me fathom why it was moved out of settings and added as a non-default option. This is literally a downgrade from the original feature.

I retract my previous statement I have found a workaround.

So after you select a filter, the URL changes to something like the following:

https://calendar.smartsheet.com/calendars/*******-******-*****-****-****/filters/********-****-****-***********/apply

Just give that link out instead of the default link, and it will always load to the filter you selected.