updating cells without loosing easy overview of historic data - how to?

We have a list of customers, where the invoice changes from month to month according to use of specific items. Example: Customer A will in

January pay for 2 item Y, 0 zero item X, and in

February pay for 3 item Y, 0 item X and in

March pay for 1 item X, 3 item Y.

Q1: Is it possible to have the customer update this information monthly? Via a form? Via a request?

Q2: Is it possible to have this kind of information in SmartSheet without overriding previous information? We are interested in having a historic view of the items paid for by the customer. 

I am looking for a smarter(automated) way of working than having this very manually process of adding additiona coulumns in xlxs 

Best regards

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Christine,

Yes, it’s possible. I’d recommend using update requests to ask for the information.

You can select which columns should be included.

More info: 

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi @Andrée Starå

I understand the request functionality. I am trying to find out how to work with more than 2D i SmartSheet like you do in excel , when you use the pivot table. AND using the automated workflows... :-) I am not sure its doable, but pretty sure.

I want that Klaus and Henrik every month is prompted automatically, to update their information on lab, office and diverse (without being able to edit previous months)

I want to have an internal overview of sum of office, labs and diverse as well as the distrubtion on users.

Further more, I want to calculate how much they should pay each month, and I want to see my income per lab and office.

Below are 2 pictures, one is raw data i excel and the other a pivot

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Christine Rosenberg

Please see my answers/comments below.

I want that Klaus and Henrik every month is prompted automatically, to update their information on lab, office and diverse (without being able to edit previous months)

A: Yes, it's possible. We would need a helper column to set a date from the month that would automatically send the update requests as needed. If needed we can lock the rows after the informations is added.

I want to have an internal overview of sum of office, labs and diverse as well as the distrubtion on users.

A: We'd either att those metrics together in the same sheet somewhere or in the Sheet Summary section or in a so-called Master Metric Sheet. The right choice depends.

Further more, I want to calculate how much they should pay each month, and I want to see my income per lab and office.

A: Same as previous question.

What do you think? Make sense?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.