Live data connector with Excel Power Query- Error for viewers

Options

Hi all,

I created a connection through live data connector in an excel file(through power query) in order my team to be able and work on an excel form and retrieve the information that is necessary.

I used my smarthseet credentials to retrieve the information from smartsheet.

I am QCing the workflow and there is a problem. The viewer is not able to update the excel sheet. Each time I click the button "refresh all" there is an error coming up that says:[DataSource.Error] ODBC:ERROR [IM002][Microsoft]odbc........Data souce name not found and no default driver specified

Can you please advice? I need the viewers to be able and get the updates in real time

Thank you,

Aspasia

Answers

• A few more questions regarding this issue:

1. What is the licensing requirement for ODBC?
    2. I specified a “Viewer” to access the spreadsheet. Will this work?

Thanks,

Aspasia

• Nathan Lloyd
    Options

Hi Aspasia,

I'd mainly suggest you ensure you've gone through all the pre-requisite steps for setting up the Live Data Connector as outlined in our documentation here (http://smartsheet-platform.github.io/odbc-docs/#overview) before attempting to setup a connection in Excel.

If you're still experiencing issues after making sure the driver and data source have been setup correctly, I'd suggest raising a ticket with Smartsheet Support so they can investigate.

To answer your follow up questions:

1. What is the licensing requirement for ODBC? Users must be licensed and part of a Business plan or higher to use the Live Data Connector (See pricing and plan information here)
    2. I specified a “Viewer” to access the spreadsheet. Will this work? I'm not certain I'm clear on the question. If you mean that you have Viewer permissions on the sheet you're trying to connect to you should still be able to pull that information. Permissions granted through the Smartsheet API will match what is applied in the main application (i.e. if you can view a Smartsheet through the normal UI, you can also access that Smartsheet using the API)

Hope that helps!

Kind regards,

Nathan L.

• Hi Nathan,

I followed the exact instructions.

The excel is updated when my smartsheet is updated, but when anyone else is trying to access the excel file, then they ask their user name and password.

When they add the info and click next, then the following message appears:

:[DataSource.Error] ODBC:ERROR [IM002][Microsoft]odbc........Data souce name not found and no default driver specified

Can you please help?

Thank you,

Aspasia