In automated workflows, how can I trigger an email to respond to the submitter's email address?

Options

We use smartsheet forms for surveys and we collect the submitter's email address. I would like to automate a 'thank you' email to the email address of the person completing the survey. They are random email addresses so they would not ever be a 'contact' or a consistent email address in a workflow. Please help! (P.S. My settings are set to less restricted already but it still looks like the workflow requires that an email address be entered. I would like the system to look at whatever email address is in that field and send the 'thank you' to that email address. Possible???

Best Answer

Answers

• RPIArchShop
    RPIArchShop ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Patti,

I believe that in the setup of the form a response can be setup. It is a choice between another form submission or feedback.

I hope this helps, If not please let me know I can find some specifics for you.

Bill

• RPIArchShop
    RPIArchShop ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Patti Farr

You can use the email address collected to automatically send out a Alert that you've set up in Workflows. I do this all the time in my client solutions.

Make sense?

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Patti Farr
    Options

I just cannot figure out how to do that without adding them as a contact or adding each individual email address to my workflow. Is there another way?

• Patti Farr
    Options

@Bill

Thank you for your feedback on the creation of the form. This would be perfect, except that I only want automated responses to go to customers who mark their surveys 'satisfied'. Any other response would require a personalized response from a supervisor or manager so we can rectify any issues. If I go with the option you suggested, I believe it would sent an automated response for every submission. Thank you so much for your help though!

• Patti Farr
    Options

I figured it out!!! Thank you everyone!

• Jantzen Forbes
    Options

@Patti Farr, Hi there. Can you please share how you figured it out? I'm looking to automate an email to the email address of the person completing the survey after I've checked a box in my sheet. These are random email addresses so they would not ever be a 'contact' but I'd like to use the automated workflow feature.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Jantzen Forbes

You'd need to add/use a contact column where the submitter would add their e-mail address. You'd then use it in your Workflow to send the information to that address.

Also, check the Permission setting for the Automations to the least restrictive. (cog in the top right corner in the Automation overview)

Make sense? Did it work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Patti Farr
    Options

@Jantzen Forbes try what Andree stated above - that is how I got it to work too. If you need more help, just let me know. ~Patti

• Mary Beth B.
    Mary Beth B. ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Similarly, I was wondering if you could foce the person submitting the form to use our company email. I have had people use their Gmail or in some cases a Vendor's email address and when I approve their request it does not send and then I have to research their email and then question them as to why they did not use their company email.

Currently, I have the form field as "contact list" but if I change it to "created by" would that default it from the user?