Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Work around to formulas across sheets

Options
15UZU
15UZU ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I am working with 2x sheets - one a CRM, the other a job list. I would like to be able to flag on the Job list when a customer name is entered which is not already in the CRM.

In Excel I could use a combination of ISERROR & MATCH to achieve this, however from what I can work out formulas across sheets is not possible on this platform. Anyone have any ideas on how to achieve this?

Taking this to the next level, if a name is entered which has incomplete customer information available return the state that it is in. Again, in Excel I could have done this with an INDEX/MATCH combo. Once again the formulas across sheets prevents this.

I can see many benefits to what i do in switching to Smartsheet, however I too many roadblocks in not being able to reference across multiple sheets.

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hello—

You're correct in that there isn't a way for formulas to reference cells in other sheets, but our Product team is currently working on this type of feature and I'll add your vote for this to our enhancement request list to increase visibility of demand. 

The closest possible workaround for this is to use the Cell Linking feature to get the data you need on your sheet. More on this is available in our Help Center: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/861579-cell-linking

• 15UZU
    15UZU ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Shaine

Yes, I contemplated that option, however it would require manually linking each cell as a new Job List entry as it is entered. Kind of counter intuitive since the whole idea of having the CRM on a different sheet is to reduce workload and increase automated functionality.

Will be awesome once the cross-sheet formula nut is cracked.

This discussion has been closed.