Updating Existing Row from Form Data

Hi - I have a request to create a sheet where a team member wants to input data, and then send a form link out for additional information to be collected. We would all of this information to be populated on one line Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so, how to do it? Thank you!

Sheryl Sheldon

Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center

Best Answer

Answers

• You would have to use update workflow. The best practice there is have a user column and populate who it is going to go to. your trigger could be one of the column you are prefilling. Another option is to have a "trigger" column if you want manual control over when to send the update.

• Sheryl Sheldon
    Sheryl Sheldon ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your response! I don't think I'm 100% clear on how that would work. So, if I have a user enter manual data on a sheet, then I have another user complete a form which puts data on the sheet, how do I get the data to go on one line? I don't need anyone to be notified that the sheet was updated. Does that make sense?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Sheryl,

@Sheryl Sheldon

Did you get this working or do you still need help?

Would it work if the form was submitted first and then you’d send out an update request to have everything on the same row?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Sheryl Sheldon
    Sheryl Sheldon ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

Yes! I was able to get this to work. I created a workflow that when a check box is clicked, that an email form is sent to an email in another field which populates the line we need it to you. Works great!

Thank you for the follow-up!

Sheryl

• Dear Mrs. Sheldon,

I'm a new user of Smartsheet and I'm very much interested in your solution but I don't quite get it. I don't know if it's because my first language is French and I don't quite grasp what your describing but anyway... would it be possible to contact me and explain to me what you did in further details?

Thank you,

Magali Dupont

magali.dupont.cisssmc16@ssss.gouv.qc.ca

• To be more precise, how did you manage to send an update request to an email included in a specific field of your workflow?

Thanks again.

Magali

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/21/20

Hi @Magali Dupont

You’ll have to use a so-called helper column (Contact Type) and use that for the Update Request. You need to add a formula to the Contact Column that collects the email from the column used in the form.

Some thing like

=Email@row

Make sense?

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.