Integration with DevOps

Sarah Brelage
Sarah Brelage ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

I'm looking for some help setting up my integration from Azure DevOps to Smartsheet. Anyone have experience with that integration?

Best Answer

• JSilver1
    JSilver1 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

You can't do what you want to do with Zapier. I had to go to AutomateIO. To update a row in smartsheet, you MUST have the RowId. Zapier makes you declare the RowId as a static data. But if you're building a dynamic automation, you will not know what the RowId a specific Azure DevOps work item is associated with on an update trigger. So you need to search the sheet for a string (like the ADO Id, matching title, etc.), then that will return the rowId or null. You can then use that dynamic return to send to the "update row" action.

But Zapier doesn't let you search a sheet by a keyword and return the rowId. AutomateIO does, however.

Answers

• Alejandra
    Alejandra Employee

Hello @sbrelage,

I don't have any personal experience with this Azure DevOps, but I did some research and found that you can integrate Azure DevOps with Smartsheet using Zapier: https://zapier.com/apps/azure-devops/integrations/smartsheet

Could this be what you're looking for?

• Sarah Brelage
    Sarah Brelage ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. I've read through all of that but just having some issues with the actual integration

• I have been able to integrate from Smartsheet to ADO, but have had an issue getting data back from ADO to SS. I even logged a ticket with Microsoft dev support, which has no been addresses.

What are you trying to do exactly for the integration?

• Sarah Brelage
    Sarah Brelage ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, our developers are putting Features into ADO and I want to send those new Features to Smartsheet. That seems to work fine. The problem I am having or can't figure out is what to do when the developers update the Features in ADO. I don't want to add a new line in Smartsheet but want to update the row in Smartsheet. It could easily be operator 'over thinking' on my part

• Dave Gordon
    Dave Gordon ✭✭✭✭

Hi @sbrelage I'm not sure what are using an an interface but the sensible thing wold be to add a field in ADO that stores the Smartsheet/RowID, so when updated it can update row already created.

Regards

Dave

• Sarah Brelage
    Sarah Brelage ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm using Zapier. So I'm clear, ADO will create a new row in Smartsheet. Smartsheet will then return the RowID to ADO. There will then be another Zap to update Smartsheet based on the RowID?

• Dave Gordon
    Dave Gordon ✭✭✭✭

That's correct.

Assuming you are using a 3rd party integration tool, I previous used Azuqua instead of Zapier as this offered more functionality.

Regards

Dave

• JSilver1
    JSilver1 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

You can't do what you want to do with Zapier. I had to go to AutomateIO. To update a row in smartsheet, you MUST have the RowId. Zapier makes you declare the RowId as a static data. But if you're building a dynamic automation, you will not know what the RowId a specific Azure DevOps work item is associated with on an update trigger. So you need to search the sheet for a string (like the ADO Id, matching title, etc.), then that will return the rowId or null. You can then use that dynamic return to send to the "update row" action.

But Zapier doesn't let you search a sheet by a keyword and return the rowId. AutomateIO does, however.