How to merge data from multiple different forms into one row?

J Johnson
J Johnson ✭✭
edited 04/10/20 in Smartsheet Basics

The process looks like this- 1 total data set with multiple teams entering data. Each team has a form specific to their metrics rather than the total data set. Each day, the different teams enter their own metrics and once everyone has entered, all the data is there... however... each new entry (on the same day) starts a new row. There are 6 different teams entering data, so the total data set ends up spanning over 6 separate rows daily. How can I ensure that all 6 forms (when entered on the same day) populate the same row?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Have you looked at using an automatic update request process instead?

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ryan Kramer
    Ryan Kramer ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @J Johnson,

I would recommend breaking it down so that you have sheets for collecting from individual teams and then a process that would aggregate this information in a reporting grid.

The solution @Andrée Starå mentioned would work if it was simply a record you want updated until complete. But generally processes like these are setup to be segmented by teams with an admin or reviewer aggregating each teams performance / metrics.

Simplest solution would be each team completes their own forms, these forms will create new rows. The data from these rows is aggregated utilizing reports (or your reporting grid) and then you can build a dashboard for simplicity of reviewing the metrics.

Ryan

• @J Johnson,

How many total Columns are you using?

Here is how I would set it up - I would have one sheet where all the information is coming in from the Forms -

I would create a Second Sheet that mirrored the Form Sheet and Use a Date Column as a Point of Reference between the Sheets. I would then use an Index Match reference (Indexing the Metric Info and Matching the Date) in each of the columns on the Second Sheet to the Form Sheet.

Below is an example from one of my workflows

Form Sheet

To Rollup Sheet

If you need more info let me know,

Rob