How do I correct the Smarthsheet add-on in Google Docs?

Options
Mark Silvester
edited 04/15/20 in Smartsheet Basics

I've connected the Smartsheet add-on in Google Docs and am trying to generate a packing slip (pasted below):

In the Smartsheet toolbar to the right, I've selected the sheet I want to pull from as well as the 5 rows I've chosen to merge (pasted below):

After selecting the correct merge fields, I'm ready to run the merge. However, I can already see that something is off as it's asking if I want to create 5 Google Docs or PDF's, whereas I want all of the information on the one packing slip (pasted below).

As you can see, the problem is that it wants to create a new document per row. Am I missing some specificity? Such as including the row number? If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated. I'm also more than happy to give any extra context needed.

Thanks!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Mark,

It only works row by row so to include information from the other rows you would have to connect and add those to columns on the same row.

Make sense?

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mark Silvester
    Options

Hey Andrée,

Thank you for your help! Unfortunately, I'm not too sure what you mean. Should I stack the information I want to merge horizontally on the same row in Smartsheet?

If I understood that correctly, the problem I would run into is that my sheet would be insanely long. I've included a couple screenshots of the sheet in question below:

As you can see, the information I want is already stretched pretty far across the sheet. Is there a way to merge an entire sheet onto one doc versus a single doc for every row of info?

Thanks again! And, please let me know if you need any more context on this.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/19/20
    Options

Happy to help!

One workaround that could work could be to join multiple cells together.

I created a solution for a client a while ago, where we linked the information to another sheet instead and then used that in Google Doc.

Another solution I developed also used cross-sheet formulas to create a similar design as yours in Google Doc, and then we exported it to Google Sheet and saved as a PDF.

What do you think? Would any of those methods work/help?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mark Silvester
    Options

Always appreciated thank you, Andrée!

So, I think both workarounds are great. I just started playing around with them and have a couple questions...

For the first solution, are you picturing something like this:

This contains all the information I want to be merged onto the Google Doc. I'm still a little confused because I'd be running into the same problem of having to use multiple rows (which would mean multiple pages again in G-Doc). I was thinking of stretching it across? But, that might get a little messy.

For the second solution, I love this idea! Pulling into Google Sheets first then exporting to PDF definitely has a much better layout. The only problems here are that when exporting to Google Sheets there is no control as to where the file goes? And, the logo I've included in Smartsheet doesn't export into the Google Sheet?

I think solution two might be the ticket, but am curious if you have any advice regarding the two issues I'm running into.

Thanks again!

Mark

• Mark Silvester
    Options

Hi Andrée,

Hope you're well!

I just wanted to circle back on this and see if you have any more suggestions? And, apologies if I've missed anything.

Thanks!

Mark

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Mark Silvester

I think the most straightforward method would be to either link the fields in your sheet together in one row or another sheet.

You have approximately 400 fields to use because there is a limit of 400 columns.

Something like this.

Make sense?

Would that work?