Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Weighted Percentage for Parent Rows

Robert Comrie
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Instead of an even roll-up - can the parent percentage be set to a specific value relative to the project - see my example below;

1. (Project) Big Steel Project  - 100%

2. (Parant)Steel Box               -  50%

3.   (Child) Bottom      70%

4.   (Child) Sides         30%

5. (Parant)Steel Post               -  30%

6.   (Child)Short Posts 20%

7.   (Child)Long Posts  80%

8. (Parant)Steel Beams          -  20%

9.   (Child)Short Beams 50%

10.  (Child)Long Beams  50%

The problem I'm having is that the completed percentage is not reflective of actual workload to be completed.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Hello Robert—

If you're using dependencies in your sheet, percentage complete is automatically rolled up to parent rows as a weighted calculation, using the duration and % complete of the children to determine the % complete of the parent rows. The % complete must be manually set in the child rows to see the parent roll up.

You'll need to disable dependencies in the sheet and create your own formula to calculate what you need. Check out our Using Formulas article for more information: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/775363-using-formulas

• Thanks Shaine...I'm new to smartsheets and was not aware that the rolled up calculation was weight against the duration. Maybe the sheet I am working with does not have any one parent with a much longer duration for me to notice the weight difference. Thanks as well for the formula tip - it will definately help if I need to do more than what the standard features offers.

Laughing 

• I would like to second this request, with a twist. It would be great to be able to set up custom weighting and custom ranges of source/child rows/cells for percent complete rollups.

Quite often I have 10 tasks in a project but they are not equally weighted. I'd love to be able to define a range of rows to perform a custom percent rollup, and assign custom percentages to each row.

This discussion has been closed.