Jira Smartsheet

Hi

I have Epics and Tasks in my project. I created a bidirectional SS<-> Jira connector. In Jira there is a mandatory field "Epic Name" for the Issue type "Epics". However "Epic Name" is not a valid field for other issue types such as "Tasks"

In the Jita<-> SS connector I have to have a field mapping as follows:

"Jira" Epic Name <-> " SS" Epic Name

With the above connector mapping, I get the following error for all Tasks :

Field 'customfield_10005' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown

If I remove the above mapping I get the following error for Epics

"Invalid response from JIRA. statusCode: 400, reasonPhrase: Epic Name: Epic Name is required."

Seems bit convoluted? Here is the summary

Epics work but Tasks fail to map when the above mapping is enabled.

Tasks fail but Epics work when the above mapping is disabled.

Please let me know how I have make the connector work for issue types.

Thanks,

Shaminda

Answers

• Hi Shaminda,

The errors you're seeing will normally only occur when mapped fields in the connected sheet contain values but there is no issue key in the row. Those kinds of errors (400 Bad Request errors generally) are thrown when Jira is not "satisfied" with the data we're passing (ex. Create Epic Issue request but no Epic Name is included).

For example, if I entered data in some mapped fields and set the issue type field to "Epic", the Jira Connector will pass the values in that row to Jira in an attempt to create a new issue of that issue type. Please see the example below for added clarity:

In the above, the row doesn't already include an Issue Key (i.e. RWT-X) so the values entered in the new row trigger a create issue event that's sent to Jira. I'm seeing the "Epic Name is required" error because no Epic Name was passed.

The main things to check are:

1. Ensure you're adding the correct Issue Type (Task in your case) when creating issues from Smartsheet
    2. Make sure all required fields for issue creation are mapped in the workflow and populated in the sheet before saving

We have a Help article which covers issue creation from Smartsheet named Streamline Jira Issue Creation From Smartsheet that may be helpful.

If you need further assistance I would advise raising a ticket with Smartsheet Support, and including a WEX (Workflow Execution file) file for your workflow when writing in. You can also use this file to confirm which field is causing the 'customfield_10005' error. To do this, open the file in a text editor and use the Ctrl / Cmd + F command in the WEX file to find the matching field display name in Jira. See steps for obtaining that file below:

Instructions for gathering Workflow Support Info File:

1. In the Jira Connector dashboard, select the timestamp under the Run Date column of the workflow. This will bring you to the workflow run history where you can see any error messages for each run.
    2. Select the timestamp under Last Run for the latest run of the workflow. (If you see "Completed with Errors" select that entry)
    3. On following page, go to the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines in the upper left) and choose Download Workflow Execution Support Info.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Nathan L.