Filter reports - How to

Options

I'm building a late task report across multiple workspaces/plans. The filter option is not available when viewing report results. Looking to be able to filter by "Status", "Owner", etc.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Fernando Flores

Strange!

Can you maybe share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Fernando Flores
    Options

Good morning Andree! (or maybe evening?). Thanks for the prompt assistance. So I created a report that gets information from standardized project plans across multiple workgroups. I can always change the report query itself to filter, but I'd like to be able to filter the results within the report sheet.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That is expected behavior. You cannot filter reports, but you can edit the Report Builder to show what you want to filter for.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Fernando Flores

Ok. In reports you don't have filters as in a sheet. instead you use the report builder to "filter".

Make sense?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Fernando Flores
    Options

I was hoping to skip the report customization and be able to filter within the report sheet. :-/

I'm utilizing the report to track down late tasks and owner assignments across a number of workspace. Editing, or building, a filter for each defeats the purpose as I would then just go through each workspace....

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Fernando Flores

I'd recommend creating multiple reports or export to excel to filter on the information.

Would that work/help?

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/20/20
    Options

I also have thought that filtering on a report would be very useful in multiple circumstances. Consider submitting an enhancement request to reports to allow filtering on report data.

• Caitlin Smith
    Options

Really wish you let the report creator decide whether filters make sense for his report. Youhave a great gris, you should leverage it.

What you are saying is that I need to have a different report for each desire filter. So if the report need to change I now have to change it in many places. Driving up cost of owning and maintaining,

You reports are more like views. The user can edit data. The user should be able to filter data. This is a big miss. I was going to use report to have different users manage different part of scope data for projects that all feeds into master table that my project that drives the detailed project plans.

A true report would be something that is uneditable.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can create individual reports, but reports in general ARE filtered versions of your data. So instead of creating one report with multiple filters, you create multiple reports from your primary data. Then you share out only the filtered data that makes sense to the user.

• Pam Grant
    Options

I created a report that integrates 3 the complete data of 3 Smartsheets. (Active, Archived, Expired). We have business reasons for wanting 3 separate sheets instead of a status on one sheet.

Select staff need an easy way to find which sheet a client is on. As an Admin, I can change the filter based on customer name or file number but anyone with less than Admin status cannot change this filter. Is there any way around giving them Admin status. That gives them the ability to do too many other things.