How to have a Date and Time format for Date Column Properties?

How to have a Date and Time format for Date Column Properties?

Hi,

Do we have Date and Time format now for Date columns?

Answers

• Andrée StaråAndrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Benjo09

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment because there isn't a time function/column, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment

The System Columns, Created, and Modified have the time as well.

What's your use-case/process? There might be a possible workaround.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Best,

Andrée Starå

• Hi @Andrée Starå I just discovered today thee is no time formatting or capability in Smartsheet like the basic functions in excel for handling time - I'm flabbergasted to discover that smartsheet does not have this ability and it imposes some real limitations on using smartsheet. Projects and workflow savings can only be measured in time and limiting that time to # of days stops smartsheet for being used for any time-critical activity.

For example my use case is that I am working with a 3rd party who is supplying me with appointments (you already got it right?) and I import those appointments into smartsheet so I can allocate resources for each appointment (we usually allocated 2 people to each one) and then of course we want to look at the appointments in a calendar view and then record results of the appointment in smartsheet afterwards - much the same as you would use a CRM for sales calls. I cannot think of a work-around but am hoping that people who have been using smartsheet a long time may have come up with one until smartsheet decides to add it in as a "feature". Perhaps a formula that takes a 24 hr text representation of 13:30 (1:30pm) and converts it to a number so it can be used in calculations and converted back to a 24hr text representation. As you said Smartsheet uses time in a number of its system columns plus uses time in the comments column where time sensitivity is critical but fails to make it available in Date cells.

Hoping someone out there knows a workaround

regards

Barry

edited 08/01/20

Hi @Barry Bowles

It's coming, and hopefully, soon!

In the meanwhile, there are many different workarounds for time solutions.

I recently developed a client solution to measure time worked on different factory/manufacturing process stages.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, [email protected])

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Best,

Andrée Starå

• Open the table in Design View. In the upper section of the design grid, select the Date/Time or Date/Time Extended field you want to format. In the Field Properties section, select the General tab, click the cell next to the Format box and enter the specific characters based on your formatting needs.

@lewis hamilton

Your solution is for Excel and not Smartsheet so that it won't work, unfortunately.

Best,

Andrée Starå