Copy/Paste is failing somewhat randomly

Hi,

In recent times, my copy/pastes sometimes don't work. Most frustrating.

One consistent workaround is to log off from SmartSheet and then log on again and then immediately do the failed copy/paste.

It seems to be triggered by attempting to copy the value in row 1 down to every row in the sheet. Once triggered, even the copy from one cell to just one other also fails. But, it triggers on other attempts to copy/paste as well.

Is anybody else experiencing this behaviour? If so, do you have any other workarounds or fixes?

I am using Chrome 83.0.4103.97 (Official Build) (64-bit) on a MacBook Pro 8 core i9 32GB RAM running macOS 10.15.5 (Catalina), but this same behaviour is being exhibited on other Macs and on Windows.

Thanks

Rob.

Tags:

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Rob,

Strange!

I haven't had any issues.

Is it the same way in all sheets?

If you haven’t already, I would also recommend that you reach out to the Smartsheet Support Team.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Rob Hagan
    Rob Hagan ✭✭✭

Hi Andrée,

Yes, it is the same in all of our production sheets. I have raised it with SmartSheet but have received no reply. I try again using the link that you provided.

Cheers,

Rob.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Rob Hagan

Happy to help!

Let me know what you find out!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• ib
    ib
    edited 06/30/20

I'm experiencing the same issue.

In the developer console it shows the following error:

"net::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

app1_101.1.0.js:1 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'split' of null

at GridDependencyManager.NPt (app1_101.1.0.js:1)

at JscMegaGrid.dus (app1_101.1.0.js:1)

at JscMegaGrid.wfs (app1_101.1.0.js:1)

at BackgroundProcess.cycle (app1_101.1.0.js:1)

at BackgroundProcess.kat (app1_101.1.0.js:1)

at BackgroundProcessManager.startBackgroundProcess (app1_101.1.0.js:1)

at <anonymous>:1:26"

• IBRIEOG
    IBRIEOG ✭✭✭✭

I have the exactly same issue - tried on firefox and chrome - tried refreshing sheet - dragging the copy box works but not CTRL-V but dragging the formula down more than a few row is a tedious workaround when I need to perform on multiple sheets.

Have any solutions come to light?

• Rob Hagan
    Rob Hagan ✭✭✭

Hi all,

You have no idea just how pleased we are (in a perverse way of course) that others in the community are experiencing the same issue. We thought that we were alone Down Under and that it was a fault in our configuration in some way.

I hadn't tried dragging down - I guess because it is just so tedious over 1,000 rows. Well spotted IBRIEOG. Thanks ib for your debug info. SmartSheet support may obtain value from that.

My workaround is to log off and log on again (as per the IT Crowd "Have you turned it off and on again").

No solution has been communicated back to me, but I have successfully demonstrated the behaviour to a 2nd Level Support Technician so we may get some response soon.

Chins up all who are afflicted!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Rob Hagan

Thanks for the update!

IT Crowd 🤣

• Hi there!

I'm having exactly the same issue. Copy & paste within 1 sheet doesn't work randomly. It always happens if I try to copy & paste multiple cells. Log out and back in fix it but it is very annoying. Glad I'm not alone. If anyone knows how to fix it please let me know.

Thank you much. :)

Pavla

• Rob Hagan
    Rob Hagan ✭✭✭

The two workarounds:

• Log out and log in again (if you have a password vault or similar assistance then this can be quick)
    • Drag down (which can be tedious for large sheets)
  • Rob Hagan
    Rob Hagan ✭✭✭

A third workaround (courtesy of SmartSheet Support): Save the sheet and refresh the browser.

• Another copy/paste issue I am dealing with is when I am trying to update one Smartsheet that I am using as data source for multiple other reports and Dashboards. I update it by pasting some excel data with the inconvenience (or so it seems to be now) that the last column is a comments column or multi-line. Smartsheet tips workaround suggest to double click in the cell to avoid cell content breakingdown and invade below rows, but this is not a valid solution when dealing with large sheets of data. This issue was not happening before and my work around for now is to copy all the data up until the Comments Column, and then do this one individually, then comments stay in their cells when pasting it. This data I am copying in is coming from the export of Other Smartsheets that i then pull together to make one data source. Comments field has different lines as well as spacing between the lines but removing spacing does not help. Some other Comments cells with less comments lines seem to stay in the same cell but others dont. Very random malfunction i would say...

• Nik Fuentes
    Nik Fuentes ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had the same thing happen [though I don't have a specific example to share]. I'll create a thing on one grid, then copy it to another and it displays an error. Both sheets are doing the same thing with functional references to rows named the same thing; if you look at them both at once on two monitors they're exactly identical but one is broken.

The solution I've found to this is to re-type the equation from scratch in the new document. Again, it looks identical to the one I copied over, but this one works now. It's completely inexplicable why this works, but it does. If I were to hazard a guess, smartsheet isn't recognizing the function syntax when it's pasted, but i have no idea why, nor way to test this.

I understand that this solution isn't very helpful if you're copying a big formula [exactly the kind you would want to copy], but it made the problem go away, so that's gotta be worth something.

• I'm currently having this issue. Pasting with Ctrl+V suddenly stopped working properly. I can past a parent row, but the child rows will be missing. I don't know where in my process this started happening and now I don't know what rows I'm missing.

Very disconcerting as we're using this for budgeting purposes. I'm going to log out as other suggested, but this is a critical bug in my opinion.

• We have the same issue. Also trying to use this for a global budget. Please let us know the fix.