Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

numbering child rows

I have a sheet I've been using for a while.  I just added a column and set it up to auto number. All the rows increased sequentially, e.g. 1, 2, 3 etc.  The child rows, and their child rows continued in orer, in otherwords the child of parent row #1 was #2. I'd like the child of Row #1, to be 1.1 or something like that.  Be even cooler if te child of the child ( grand child?) would be numbered 1.1.1 or 1.1.a

How could I do that?

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

What you are asking for is something llike a Work Breakdown Structure numbering or outline ordering system.

Not available directly

This can be built using formulas, but the overhead is typically not worth it, in my opinion, unless you finish the rest of the sheet, add in the formulas to get the results, and then turn them off (delete them - Smartsheet does not have a disable formulas feature) when you have the data.

Makes dynamic lists a pain, for many use cases.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.