Dynamic View: Un-editable Fields

Michael Wilkesen
Michael Wilkesen ✭✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

I am having an issue with Dynamic View treating (random) editable fields as "Read Only."

In this instance, Dynamic View is treating a Date Field as if it were a "Read Only."

In the first screen shot, you will see that the "Date Resolved" field is not marked as "Read Only" in the design mode, however, when you open the View Details, the "Date Resolved" field is treated as if it were "Read-Only."

I have verified that the Source Sheet column is not "locked" and does not contain a formula, and is "checked" as "Date Only" (screenshot 3). I have also validated that both the "Date Resolved" and the "SCC Initiated Date," also shown in screenshot 1, are set up identically in the Source Sheet.

Historically, when an issue like this occurs, I would simple delete the column from the Source Sheet, and begin again, however, I have a number reports that are built off of this sheet, and if I were to delete and re-build, I would need to update all the reports, and I would like to avoid that if at all possible.

Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Michael Wilkesen
    Michael Wilkesen ✭✭✭✭

I failed to upload screenshot 3, and could not edit my thread, so here it is.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Michael Wilkesen

Are you using dependencies and is the Date Resolved part of it?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day & Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Michael Wilkesen
    Michael Wilkesen ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Andree for reaching out; dependencies are disabled on this sheet.

• pe22
    pe22 ✭✭✭

I am having the same issue and it's driving me nuts. I checked all the other forums but unable to find a solution that works.

• Mel.
    Mel. ✭✭

I am having the same problem. There are 3 different date columns, and only one is not allowing edits. We made a copy of everything so we could tinker without breaking our co-worker's actual sheet or messing with the data, and guess what? All worked on the copied version. We cannot for the lives of us figure out what the problem is in the original sheet. 😫

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Mel.

The following conditions make a field read-only in Dynamic View... could your date column be one of these in the source sheet but not the copied sheet?

• Field is from a System Column
    • Field is from a Gantt End Date Column
    • Field is the "End date column" in the date range display of the project settings
    • Field is from a Gantt Predecessor Column
    • Cell in source sheet contains a formula
    • Cell in source sheet contains an inbound cell-link
    • Cell in source sheet contains a Hyperlink

(These details are pulled from this Help Article: Dynamic View App: Create and Administrate Views)

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Leslie Ambs
    Leslie Ambs ✭✭✭

I am having the same issue. I have 3 date fields, only one is grayed out and not editable in DV. The field does not fit any of the criteria listed by the admin in this thread. The settings for this field are identical to the other 2 fields that are editable. There is no difference noted in these fields.

Please help!

Leslie

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Leslie Ambs

Would you be able to post screen captures of your Dynamic View, then underlying sheet, and the Column Properties for this one date column? (Please block out any sensitive data).

Thanks,

Genevieve

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Leslie Ambs

Everything looks good from these images, which makes me believe it's possible this date column is selected as the "End Date" in your Project Settings for a Gantt Chart.

Can you right-click on the column and instead of going to Column Properties, go to Project Settings? If this column is selected as the "End Date", that's why it's currently greyed out.

Select a different column as your End Date and then you should be able to edit this one from the Dynamic View!

Let me know if this was the issue.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Leslie Ambs
    Leslie Ambs ✭✭✭

thank you @Genevieve P, that was it! This is not set up as a "project" so I did not know that it has a default end date. We created a dummy date column to point to in project settings and all is working now!

good to know!

• brhea110891
    brhea110891 ✭✭✭✭

I am experiencing the same issue as above and tried to change the end date, but am unable. It is a little odd.

In the DV, I want toe 2024 Summer PL Start and Finish Dates to be editable, but can't deselect Read-Only.

In the Project Settings the 2023 Start and Finish Dates are the only options.

Not sure what to try next.

Thank you.

• Genevieve P.

Hi @brhea110891

Do you have a formula in that column at all? Can you show a screen capture of how that date column is set up in your source sheet, but blocking sensitive data.

• brhea110891
    brhea110891 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Genevieve -

Thank you for your help.

Yes there is a formula: =[2023 SI Start]@row + 365

Is there a way to remove the formula and keep the date determined? This is a huge sheet with over 400 rows.

And I have 37 Dynamic views for each Work-Area.

What are my options?

Becky

• brhea110891
    brhea110891 ✭✭✭✭

Building on my above question - Is there a way to copy dates without the formula to another column, but not one-by one ... I have 400 rows with dates?