chart dates VS. Progress

hello,

Is there a direct way in the smartsheet to give me the same chart to track progress in a weekly or monthly matter ?? as the client wants to see a weekly report regarding the progress in reference to the date?

Thanks,

Answers

• Hi @Rana HUSSEIN

Yes, this is possible to set up, however it will depend on how you are gathering this data.

You would need to ensure that the sheet with the source data has the dates listed in a Date Type of column. The values to create the bars will then need to be numerical in a Text/Number type of column.

Then you can create a Report which will always look at the past 7 days (for this last week) or look at the past 30 days (for the last month). This Report will be filtered based on that Date Column.

From here, you can create a graph based on the Report. Does that make sense?

Here's an example of one looking at the last 17 days:

Here are some article I used to help build this:

Let me know if I've misunderstood or if you need help with the sheet, report, or dashboard.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• thanks a lot, @Genevieve P for your reply.

sorry, I didn't get the point maybe I didn't explain well what I need.

the image below is what I need to show every week, the x-axis is for a day every week, the y-axis the percentage, and the chart to view the variance between the two columns I have in my source sheet, the planned progress, and the actual progress.

it would be really great if you can help me with the way to get this.

• Hi @Rana HUSSEIN

Thanks for clarifying! It looks like you've already set up the Chart how you would like, you just need to ensure it rolls over each week with the new dates, is that correct?

If so, using the Report method would be the way to go, you just need to include all three columns in the Report: the Date column, the Planned Progress, and the Actual Progress.

This is how you'd set up the filter in the Report (presuming you want the last week, not future week):

Then use the Report as the source for the chart, instead of the sheet:

Did this work for you?

Cheers!

Genevieve

• Rana HUSSEIN
    Rana HUSSEIN ✭✭
    edited 02/21/21

I have several items, actually, about 1200 rows and the graph I attached above is regarding one subject such as (HSQE hiring), sorry I don't understand the column of the date you inserted in the report?

so what was I asking about is to make this graph I have to manually copy and paste in another sheet the values every week for different subjects such as hiring training, auditing,...., so is there a way to make it direct?

thanks a lot for your effort.

• Hi @Rana HUSSEIN

Thank you for explaining further, this screen capture helps!

The "Date" Column I inserted was the date that you want to report on. I see in your sheet there are two date columns, presumably a "Start" and an "End", is that correct? If so, you'll need to decide which one of these two you want to report on.

So in your example, you may want to just use the End Date column as the Dates in the x-axis and then the percents. Create a Report with these 3 columns:

The way to do this without manually copying/pasting into another sheet would be to use a Report to filter down the rows.

How do you define the different sections? A Report will need to have something on each row defining if it's part of the section you want to pull through. For example, your HSQE hiring row looks like a title as a Parent Row. Is there anything underneath this row that indicates what section the rows fall under?

If not, we can add in a "helper column" that will identify the Parent so the Report can pull rows based on this helper column. Does that make sense?