Conditional rule paths

I previously had these rules separated out and I thought I was being crafty by combining them into a single rule. However, after reading about condition paths I think I might need to seperate them again.

Essentially, any line item (row) in our submittal log can have a drawing due (path #1), a product data due (path #2), require a VIF (path #3), have custom items due (path #4), or need an install date confirmation (path #5).

Is my rule ONLY going to fire path #1 and discard the rest for each row?

I want a PM to get 5 seperate emails (one per path). Would I need to break my rule back into 5 seperate rules?

Second question:

Getting 5 emails is pretty annoying, is there a way to somehow combine these to make it one email? Essentially a summary per week for each PM so they aren't getting inudated with emails.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Andrew1983

This workflow will send rows via email down the first Conditional path that it finds a match for. Think of it like dominoes... if the first conditions are met then the dominoes will flow down that path. If the first conditions aren't met for these rows, then it will check the second conditional path and flow down that one instead.

Now, if you have some rows that match the first criteria, these will be sent with the first condition. If you have other rows that don't match the first criteria, but they match the second, then they'll flow down the second path. Does that make sense?

Where this won't work is when you have rows that meet more than one of these criteria paths. The workflow will only send that row down the first matching path without duplicating the same row in the other emails. If this duplication is what you want, then yes, you will need to split this workflow into 5 different workflows instead. (See: What to Expect With Overlapping Condition Paths).

For your second question, since you want different messages to be sent out for each of the different criteria, there isn't an easy way to summarize this all into one email from 5 alerts.

Have you thought about creating a Report with all these rows instead? You could filter the Report by the Current User to the person looking at the data only sees their own rows. Then you could send out a recurring weekly export of the report so it shows all the rows at once (see: Share a Report as an Attachment in Email).

Let me know if there's anything I can clarify further for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Andrew1983

This workflow will send rows via email down the first Conditional path that it finds a match for. Think of it like dominoes... if the first conditions are met then the dominoes will flow down that path. If the first conditions aren't met for these rows, then it will check the second conditional path and flow down that one instead.

Now, if you have some rows that match the first criteria, these will be sent with the first condition. If you have other rows that don't match the first criteria, but they match the second, then they'll flow down the second path. Does that make sense?

Where this won't work is when you have rows that meet more than one of these criteria paths. The workflow will only send that row down the first matching path without duplicating the same row in the other emails. If this duplication is what you want, then yes, you will need to split this workflow into 5 different workflows instead. (See: What to Expect With Overlapping Condition Paths).

For your second question, since you want different messages to be sent out for each of the different criteria, there isn't an easy way to summarize this all into one email from 5 alerts.

Have you thought about creating a Report with all these rows instead? You could filter the Report by the Current User to the person looking at the data only sees their own rows. Then you could send out a recurring weekly export of the report so it shows all the rows at once (see: Share a Report as an Attachment in Email).

Let me know if there's anything I can clarify further for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now