Attaching files best practice

Options

Hi

We are rolling out Smartsheet and we are a MS shop which means we use Teams, OneDrive and SharePoint. I understand that if files are attached from OneDrive, it is a link to the file and will always point to the latest version of the file. This is not the case for SharePoint.

We are considering to only "allow" a URL to be attached to the task and not the file itself. Wondering what best practices are or what folks have found to work best consider:

• speed
  • managing files and versions
  • ensuring the users have access to the correct version of the file
  • Project closure and archiving

I realize some of these are related to business rules but would don't really want to reinvent the wheel as I am sure this is a topic for every rollout.

Thanks

Chris

Answers

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would recommend and prefer attaching files using the link from OneDrive, but only if that works :-) (I can navigate to OneDrive, select a file but nothing happens when I click open to attach the file. Smartsheet does not consider it as a bug even though it does not work consistently)

Using the "Link (URL)" option means users will have to copy link from OneDrive paste it and then give some name to the Link, which may have user adoption issues.