How can I copy data from just a few columns to another sheet?

09/07/21
Answered - Pending Review

I have a large sheet where I would like to copy the data from just 7 columns to another sheet once the data in one of the columns matches the criteria needed.

For example:

Copy the data from the following columns to NewSheet once the Group column says October 2021.

Position Accepted, ID, FName, LName, Instructor, Email, Group

Answers

• Andrée StaråAndrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Ruth Schoonover,

I hope you're well and safe!

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds 

• You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.
    • Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

Would any of those options work/help? 

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET PARTNER & CONSULTANT / EXPERT

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E: [email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

• Vlookup might work. I really want the new sheet data to be pulled/updated from the main sheet instead of a helper sheet to make sure any updates are reflected in both sheets.

I'll research vlookup. I've never used that before.

• Andrée StaråAndrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ruth Schoonover

Excellent!

I'd recommend using INDEX/MATCH if possible because it's more secure and flexible.

The structure would be something like this.

=INDEX({ColumnWithTheValueYouWantToShow}; MATCH([email protected]; 
    {ColumnWithTheValueToMatchAgainsTheCell}; 0))

Depending on your country/region, you'll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

More info.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET PARTNER & CONSULTANT / EXPERT

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E: [email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.