How to add an Image into a cell in a Report

We have a single sheet broken into many reports that different users use during a process of development of a product. The sheet holds all the columns and is the single source of truth while the reports give snap shots of each step and only shows columns relevant to that step/user.

My question:

You can copy/paste an image into a cell on a sheet or right click in a cell to add an image. However neither of those functions are useable in a report, only in a sheet. I understand you can Attach an image to the row however at this moment the Document Generator cannot take images from Attach to Row and add them into the Document Generator to create PDF files. So we use Images in cells to attach at the moment.

Without having individual step users go into the main sheet and try to understand all the extra data and columns, is there another way to add images in cells in a report?

I have already put in a product enhancement request but I thought I would ask the community as well.

Thank you for your time,

Michael

Best Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Michael Halvey

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, as far as I know, it's not possible now, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Michael Halvey
    Michael Halvey ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Andrée Starå I found a slight workaround for adding images in cells on a report that I thought I would share.

If you double left click on the far left side of a row to have the row data populate in a vertical popup.

Scroll down to the cell you want to add a image into and click into it.

If you Copy the image from it's location (desktop/server folder/cloud service) and then Paste it into the cell.

Hitting save at the bottom of the vertical popup and it will appear in the correct cell in the report immediately. This only works with the vertical popup screen and not just in the report.

This is MUCH faster than having to go into the Main Sheet, locate the row and Right Click and Insert Image>Upload a File or copy/paste the image from your desktop into the cell.

Hopefully one day we can Copy/Paste an image directly into a Report cell but until then, this is a good workaround.

Have a wonderful night!

-Michael

Answers