Ability for PM's to select which projects they want to receive a status update request e-mail

On an ad-hoc basis I need project managers to be able to select which project(s) they want to receive the status update request so they can update accordingly.

Currently In my dashboard I give them access to a separate "project selection" sheet containing the project list (linked in from the master data sheet) and a "Yes/No" dropdown cell against each project (this cell is linked out to the Master Date sheet) ---- so when they select "YES" for a particular project the Master data sheet would see the change from NO to YES and by using the workflow automation send out the update request.

After the update request has been initiated I need to reset the YES/NO selection cell back to NO.

I think I am getting lost in the workflow automation and the sequence of when things happen and the interactions between the "selection" sheet and the master data sheet which sends out the request.....

I do not want to give them access to the main data sheet - which is where I believe the request need to be activated from.....

There must be a simple way for them to select from a list which projects they want to update?

Thanks

Andy

Answers

• Jason Duryea
    Jason Duryea ✭✭✭✭✭✭

We use Control Center to manage our project portfolio, which utilizes a Project Intake Sheet as the master project list.

Within this Sheet we have various status fields such as Project Status, Project Health and Health Comments which our PMs update on a weekly basis. They do this using a report linked on our Portfolio Dashboard that filters to show only projects they’re assigned to as a PM.

This allows them to update all of their project statuses in one place. Although, it’s the spreadsheet format rather than the cleaner looking Update Request form.

Just a suggestion if dealing with the workflow logic is to cumbersome.

• Jason Duryea
    Jason Duryea ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Example of the report filtering that I was referring to

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!