Checklist workflow automation

Options

I'm trying to convert a onboarding checklist into an automated workflow. For example. Role X has tasks 1, 2, 3 associated with it. Role Y has tasks 1,2, 6,7 associated with it. I would like the tasks to auto-populate based on the role. It would also be great if I can notify people when it's time for them to work on their tasks and the completion of one task triggers the subsequent ones.

Any help on formulas/templates are much appreciated!

Tags:

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Kvaldes4513

How is your sheet set up? If you have the rows associated with the Roles and a multi-select column for your Tasks, then you could use a Change Cell Workflow to add the Task values into each row based on what role you select. The trigger would be when the Role is added or changed.

See: Change the Value of a Cell in an Automated Workflow

Then for notifying your assigned users, as long as you have a Date type of column in your sheet that notes the Start Date, and the Assigned To column is a Contact list type of column, you can set a Date Based trigger in another workflow to run when a date is reached and send an alert to the people in the Contact column.

See: Create a Time-Based Automated Workflow

If this hasn't helped, it would be useful to see a screen capture of your current sheet set-up, but please block out sensitive data.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Kvaldes4513
    Options

Hi Genevieve,

Thanks for the tips. Adding workflows did help somewhat, but it still doesn't solve my issue completely.

I would like the list of subsequent "triggers" after "verbal offer acceptance" to automatically populate based on the role that the new hire is in. So for example, if I enter a name of a new hire a row there are subsequent tasks that need to take place, once after the other, based on the completion of the previous task and those all need to show up once I put a name of the new hire into the sheet. I'm not sure if this is entirely clear, what I'm describing, but any further help is greatly appreciated.

-Kayla

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Kvaldes4513

Thank you for posting a screen capture, this really helps! I understand now that you're looking to populate multiple child rows underneath your main row, versus filling in a cell on the same row.

There currently isn't a way to automatically create a number of child rows based on a selection in a parent row (please submit your feedback and suggestion to our Product team, here).

As a manual suggestion, you could set up your task list in a separate sheet, then when there's a new project added you could either copy/paste those rows over, or use the Copy Row feature to bring those across. See the "Tip" under Copy and Paste Hierarchy, here.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Kvaldes4513
    Options

Thanks you for the additional help and information, I appreciate it!

Regards,

Kayla

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!