How can restrict editing of certain columns in report shared in WorkApps

Options
Frank Falco
Frank Falco ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

We have started using WorkApps and we have a report that contains several columns that need to be viewed by the users for context/info and others that are required for them to edit.

How can I protect the info only columns without locking the columns in the underlying sheet?

There is no way to lock columns in reports is there?

I need to ensure they do not edit the columns they are not supposed to.

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Frank Falco

There currently isn't a way to lock a column in a Report, no. You would need to lock that column in the underlying sheet.

That said, there are also a few column-types that automatically can't be edited through a Report, such as a column that has a Column Formula. (See: Select Source Sheets for Report Builder)

Depending on how many columns you need "locked", I would suggest creating helper columns in the underlying sheet that contain a super simple column formula, for example:

=[Task Name]@row

In the sheet you can display the actual Task Name to be edited and hide the helper column. Then in the Report you can do the opposite: select the "helper" Task_Name column (but not the actual Task Name column) so you can surface the same cell details but through a formula, meaning it can't be edited in the Report.

Cheers!

Genevieve

• RAllen
    RAllen ✭✭
    Options

What about using Dynamic views to manage content accessibility- would that work?