How do I create a search function in a sheet?

Options

Hi all,

I was wondering if there's a way to create a search function in a sheet or on a dashboard where it will draw specific columns for that material from another sheet. I don't want to share the master sheet with the audience.

Thanks =)

Answers

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi there. You could create a form on your sheet to request someone enter a value that they know which will exist on the sheet you want to reference from. Then you can do an INDEX MATCH lookup which will reference the value which was entered on the form against the value in the row on the sheet you don't want them to have access to. With the INDEX MATCH you can then pull in the specific values from columns which are needed from the reference sheet.

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You could even set up an Alert automation when those cells with the INDEX MATCH are no longer blank and it can email them the answers (values) which were INDEX MATCH. That way they don't have access to the answers other people searched for either.

• SIS
    SIS ✭✭
    Options

@Matt Cohoon Thanks for your reply. How will the form pull data from the sheet and display the result right away? Where do I insert the formula in the form? Do you mind elaborating a little bit more?

Thanks a lot =)