Data shuffle Data Merge anomoly

Options
Tim_Simmons
Tim_Simmons ✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

I've just begun to use datashuffle, and have set-up my first workflow, merging data from a CSV file and adding rows / updating cells based on a key column value. All the columns are mapped etc, and the automation occurs upon attaching the CSV file.

I've noticed that any data that is merged / added (Most of this data is numbers) automatically gets formatted with an apostrophe (') added to the front of the number, and a comma (,) seperating at the 1,000's , so the data becomes recognised as text rather than a number for formatting etc. Given that this isn't how it appears in the CSV file, I assume that it is being added as part of the data merge by Smartsheet.

Has anyone seen this, and possibly worked out a solution to stop it occuring?

Answers

• Tim_Simmons
    Tim_Simmons ✭✭✭
    Options

So further investigation of this has show's it isn't occurring at all times, just occasionally. I've addressed it by changing from a data merge, to complete sheet replacement within the workflow.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Tim_Simmons

Smartsheet will add a leading apostrophe in front of any values that start with 0, so the 0 is kept in the sheet. It will also sometimes add ' to numerical values to make them text in Smartsheet if they're stored as text in the source document.

If this continues to happen, it may be worth contacting Smartsheet Support with a screen recording and a copy of the CSV file that you're importing so they can test and confirm expected behaviour with your type of data.

Cheers,

Genevieve