Best Way of Being Able to Display Data Using a Current Sheet, Archive Sheet and Summary Reports

SteCoxy
SteCoxy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm assisting some colleagues with a solution that helps track music session bookings. There are a number of summary reports set up, which the metrics are then displayed on a dashboard.

It's been set up for exactly a year, but they only want the current financial year's data to be displayed. They came to me asking to help them set up brand new sheets/reports/dashboard for this financial year.

Instead, I've recommended an archive function i.e. using the move row automation to an identical sheet, which would then mean keeping the same dashboard and reports would only display the most up to date data. What they'd also like though is to be able to compare and display last year's data in the dashboard.

I'm wondering if this is possible with the method that I've recommended (using perhaps a filter on the report to display the relevant data from previous years) or if having a new sheet each year is the best way to do this?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @SteCoxy

I personally would have separate sheets per-year as well.

For the Dashboard it will depend on what you're already reporting... for example, you could either Copy/Paste a current widget and then change the source (so you have two pieces of data in two different widgets), or you could create a Metric Sheet with two sets of formulas in two columns (one for each year) so the data appears in the same chart.

If you're wondering how to do this, would you be able to post a screen capture of the Dashboard and of the source Sheet? (But block out sensitive data).

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @SteCoxy

I personally would have separate sheets per-year as well.

For the Dashboard it will depend on what you're already reporting... for example, you could either Copy/Paste a current widget and then change the source (so you have two pieces of data in two different widgets), or you could create a Metric Sheet with two sets of formulas in two columns (one for each year) so the data appears in the same chart.

If you're wondering how to do this, would you be able to post a screen capture of the Dashboard and of the source Sheet? (But block out sensitive data).

Cheers,

Genevieve